Dragaera

Robert Jordan (was: Seen the other night....)

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Fri Feb 20 13:27:38 PST 2004

Mark A Mandel writes:
>#On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
>#> examples of fantasy trilogies outside of D&D tie-ins.  Can
>#> you cite a fantasy series with at least 6 POVs that was
>#> published before 1990?
>The Biography of Manuel, comprising almost all the fantasy works of
>James Branch Cabell [1879-1958]
>http://www.violetbooks.com/cabell.html

*laugh*.

Oh, yes.

Though...are you sure they aren't the same book, written over and over
again?

(mostly joke, though IMEX, Cabell's work, while really good, has a
similar enough quality that it can wear badly when taken in a large
enough dose at once).

I am, by the way, mystified by the newly minted idea that long-written
or complex fantasy series began with Jordan [admitedly, he exceeds a
lot of his predicessors in length, but even there, on the SF side of
the fence, there's Hubbard to compare with].

--
     Joshua Kronengold (mneme at io.com) "I've been teaching |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'