Dragaera

Robert Jordan (was: Seen the other night....)

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Fri Feb 20 13:22:59 PST 2004

Jerry Friedman writes:
>--- Mark A Mandel <mam at theworld.com> wrote:
>> LotR is not a series; it is a single book that was published in three
>> physical volumes. (Here's the test: Can you pick up any book in the
>> set and read it as a whole?)
>Yabbut, Konrad was specifically asking for comparison with Robert
>Jordan.  I assure you, that's a single book that's being published
>in n physical volumes.

Yes, but he was being compared to Hobb, whose first series [under that
name] of books does have some closure in each book (though the Hobb "Fitz"
books (the Assassin books and the Fool books) are probably best taken
as a single narrative in six parts; note that they do have a single
point of view at all times, since they are written as autobiography;
near as I can tell, this renders them utterly dissimilar to Jordan's
work, and far closer to, say, Brust, if not either as
compartmentalized nor as well written).

--
     Joshua Kronengold (mneme at io.com) "I've been teaching |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'