Dragaera

Geography: An Introduction to the Map of Dragaera

Sun Feb 22 14:51:51 PST 2004

I have begun work on my new website devoted to mapping the world of
Dragaera.

I will be posting a number of documents and maps on this page, and as I
write each one, I will publish it on the mailing list.  This is the first
(which lets you know how far along I am... no maps online yet, but I'm
working on them).

As you can see from reading the document below, I'm taking the position that
Steven Brust's Dragaera novels are "real".  If this is confusing to anyone,
let me know.

You can access this website by going to http://bryann.net and clicking on
the Steven Brust object on the shelf at the top (btw, the stylized Jhereg on
this object is one of my musings for the Cycle, another project I am working
on).

If you have problems with the javascript/dhtml menu, try the direct link:
http://bryann.net/cgi-bin/main?content=brust/main.web, but be aware it may
change in the future.

My website has been developed using a web application I wrote at work.  We
have almost fifty customers using products based on this web application,
and every single one of them uses Internet Explorer 6 on all of their
machines.  Accordingly, 99% of my work has gone into making our web
application work for this browser ONLY.

On my own time, I have also worked a little bit to make it work with
Mozilla.  There are problems with the menus and CSS, but otherwise Mozilla
works fairly well.  My brother has a friend who uses Safari 1.2 for the Mac,
and he says that browser is very compatible with my site, although I have
not verified this myself.

I understand from previous postings to this mailing list that a number of
you will be using other browsers.  If you have any problems viewing my site,
please let me know what operating system and browser you're using (including
versions), and I'll see what I can do.  I do NOT have access to a Macintosh
here, although we have an older model at work that does a great job of
collecting dust.

My internet connection is an ADSL.  While I get around 160K/second download
speeds, my upload speed is only 11K/second.  Anyone visiting my site from
the outside will be limited by this upload speed, so please be patient.  You
probably won't even notice unless I publish a particularly large map here.

I am open to discussion on my Steven Brust website in general, and this
document in particular.

Bryan Newell (http://bryann.net)
His name was Friend To Wolf, and the four-barreled minigun slung across his
shoulders was for everyone else.

--begin document--

I. An Introduction to the Map of Dragaera

My goal here is to create a map of Dragaera, a world revealed to us by
Steven Brust.

My attempt here is predicated on the following assumptions:

1. It is possible to make such a map.

2. The text is correct. That is, none of the narrators are blatantly wrong,
and there are no major mistakes on the part of Steven Brust. In other words,
I will try, as much as possible, to take the text of the novels at face
value, and use the most obvious conclusions I can come up with. Questioning
the text will only occur as a last resort.

While I may not be capable of producing an exact map of Dragaera, I hope to
produce a map that, at the very least, does not violate the text.

I am more interested in the overall geography of Dragaera than the specifics
of a given locale, so I will be using a scale of 1 pixel = 1 mile on all
maps on this site, unless specifically noted otherwise.

II. Sources

1. The Novels:

The first thing I should establish is the framework within which the novels
are written.

Steven Brust receives these novels from outside sources, translates them
into English, and publishes them under his own name.

The novels and their narrators are:

The Phoenix Guards
Five Hundred Years After
Paths of the Dead
The Lord of Castle Black
 -  As narrated by Paarfi of Roundwood, who considers himself a serious
historian, but his contemporary detractors, of which there are many, accuse
him of writing populist trash--more fiction than fact. Paarfi has
strenuously denied this charge, although he has admitted to deducing some
facts that were not known to him, such as what was eaten at a given meal, or
the exact conversation between two characters.

Jhereg
Yendi
Teckla
Taltos
Phoenix
Dragon
Issola
 -  As narrated by Vladimir Taltos, an Easterner in the world of Dragaera.
He is as intelligent and observant as you would expect from a master
assassin.

Orca
 -  As narrated by Kiera the Thief, a Dragaeran of the House of Jhereg. She
is an accomplished thief--perhaps the greatest thief in her world. She is
extremely observant as well. She also reveals a secret in the one novel she
narrated that leads me to believe she is a very trustworthy reporter. I do
not know if she has directly narrated her tale to Steven Brust, or if she
narrated it to Vlad, and he passed it along.

Brokedown Palace
Athyra
 -  whose narrator is not known to me

2. The Author

Any comments the author himself chooses to share on the subject, will, of
course, be given the utmost consideration. However, within the framework he
himself has dictated, anything he has to say on the subject should be
accepted with a grain of salt. He is, after all, acting as the translator of
these novels, as opposed to their original author.  [*** Is this too
much? -- Bryan ***]

3. Worthy Debate

I will give equal consideration to all discussions on this subject, with
friends, family, and on the Dragaeran Mailing List when refining my maps.
It is certainly not my intent to be the only person working on this project.

III. Disclaimer

My work here is currently unauthorized. If any current or future text or
comments by Steven Brust is in disagreement with my conclusions and maps,
consider Steven Brust correct.

Of course, if his text or comments disagree with his own text or comments,
you'll have to take that up with him.