Dragaera

Geography: An Introduction to the Map of Dragaera

Sun Feb 22 21:33:55 PST 2004

> >> And W3C's validator couldn't even parse your site:
> >> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbryann.net%2F
> >
> > Validators can't parse my site, because I generate all html "on the fly"
> > using cgi-bin executables.
>
> That doesn't matter; they simply make an http connection to the site
> and look at the content delivered.  My dynamic sites validate fine
> (except when they don't, when I've got something screwed up).

Interesting.  I swear I tried validating it before, and it couldn't see the
html unless I saved it as a .html file first.  Perhaps it was a different
validator, or perhaps I'm just forgetful.

I see now, however, that you are correct; I tried running the link above,
and it errors out because there is no DOCTYPE declared on my page.

I hadn't realized that was a fatal error...  It certainly isn't fatal in any
of the browsers I've used.  Is that only required so the validator knows HOW
to validate your html?  Or are browsers also supposed to reject your page if
it doesn't have a DOCTYPE declared?

Anyone know?

Bryan