Dragaera

Morganti regret (Issola spoilers within)

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Mon Feb 23 06:49:44 PST 2004

Bryan Newell writes:
>Issola, hc pg 88 - "It was long for a knife and short for a sword.
>Impractical in every way, and was probably not even balanced all that well,
>most likely being a bit blade-heavy.  This, of course, was useful for
>chopping away in battle"
>
>Issola, hc pg 98 - "It was a narrow blade, very light and useful-feeling in
>my hand, about eighteen inches long, and not nearly as blade-heavy as I'd
>suspected it would  be."
>
>Issola, hc pg 245 - "It fit my hand like an additional finger, like it
>should have been there all along, or maybe it had been there all along and
>I'd never been aware of it."

Interesting.  Almost as if Vlad is being "seduced" by the blade.

But yes, 18 inches is a perfectly respectable size for a main gauche.
(though I use a main droite).

>Per fencing.net, the epee is the closest of the three modern fencing weapons
>(epee, foil, sabre) to what was actually used in medieval times.

Um.  Sorta; Epee is just french for "sword".  Sabre is actually closer
in use, since it's a cut primary weapon.  OTOH, what was used in
"medieval times" isn't really relevant to dragaera -- vlad's weapon
choice seems to be a light rapier (ie, probably 30-36 inches long,
light as a feather), and he's trained with fencing sabre.

[and the last time I started talking about what this means about
weapon's technology in modern Dragaera/Fenario (or wherever in the
east Vlad's family comes from), Steve threteaned to write a rant about
historical accuracy in fantasy]

>So, an images.google.com search for "epee and dagger" returned the
>following:
>
>http://www.imperialweapons.com/swords/iberia/1032-GT.JPG

The dagger is an 18 inch flexi-dagger (well, 17.5, as you say), which
is one of the types of blades used for renn-style fencing.
But the blade is nowhere near an epee -- it's a schlager blade
[um...designed for menseur, the German dueling game that the brow
scars and monicles come from], used as a -rapier- simulator, with the
blade mounted sideways the edges of a rapier should be lined up with
the quillions, but in this case, they seem to be at 90 degrees to it;
no, I have no idea why.

I -have- used a double-wide 40" epee blade (ie, both wider and longer
than a modern fencing epee, but of the same basic design) as a rapier
simulator, and it does do a decent job of simulating what in modern
parlance would be a 17th century rapier (wheras the kind of rapier
Vlad seems to use might be a 18th century rapier, aka "smallsword".

>Can you imagine how DISTRACTING it would be to fight someone whose
>off-weapon was a Great Weapon?  It's not like Blackwand, where you just have
>to avoid being hit by the one sword, all your attention would be focused on
>Godslayer, which isn't the "primary" weapon!

*giggle*  Yeah, I can see this -- plus, you have to worry, every time
he does a blade parry, that that damned Great Weapon is going to
strike at your -arm-, with a scratch deadly enough to kill.

>I believe that Morrolan has demonstrated that the owners of the Great
>Weapons _decide_ when their weapons eat souls.  Maybe that is just a trait
>of Blackwand, but I got the feeling all Great Weapons worked that way.

That's the impression I get as well.

--
     Joshua Kronengold (mneme at io.com) "I've been teaching |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'