Dragaera

Zerika in Paths

Mon Feb 23 17:56:46 PST 2004

   In the introduction to _The Lord of Castle Black_
Paarfi describes how his description of Zerika's
journey
at the end of the last book was "an encapsulation of
and triumph over the 17 Great Houses" but doesn't
specify any more.

   I think I can see which incidents correspond to the
Houses.

Phoenix:  Z enters the Paths (passes tree without
leaves).

Dragon:  Z plunges through the brush (she charges
straight in and succeeds, but with difficulty).

Lyorn:  Z must go through many tricky parts almost too
fast (succeeds using memorization, precision and
training.

Tiassa:  Z must cross a pool without touching water
or going around (she succeeds through an original
idea of going up a vine and across a branch).

Hawk:  There are distractions, but Z looks ahead and
doesn't stray from the path.