Dragaera

Devera as the dragon

Tue Feb 24 11:28:05 PST 2004

SPOILERS FOR ISSOLA

--- Kenneth Gorelick <pulmon at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2004, at 11:13 AM, Jot Powers wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:43:44PM -0800, mary
> whalen wrote:
> >>
> >>    I don't agree that the dragon seen at the end
> of
> >> _Issola_ was Devera in another form.  I think the
> >
> > [*snip*]
> >
> > Regrettably, Steven doesn't agree with you.
> >
> > But what does he know?
> >

> "Monty wins the bannana" is NOT an unequivocal
> assertion of congruency

> knowing Steve's
> prediliction for misdirection, I would not be
> surprised to learn the
> "Monty wins the bannana" was not intended to confirm
> Monty's theory.

   Looking back on messages from this subject from the
past, I agree that the banana message doesn't
necessarily confirm the claim for Devera's claim to
dragonhood (little d).

   If he had said "won the cigar" it would not have
the same room for interpretation.  However, the
substitution may simply mean that this idea is just a
bunch of monkey business.

   It seems unlikely to me to be Devera because she
already appeared once before in _Issola_, she acts
bloodthirsty (more like Kieron than a nice young girl)
and Sethra says Aliera should know the dragon's
identity.

   In some of the discussion on this in the past, it
seems to me that there was some confusion over the use
of "she" by Sethra when discussing the dragon with
Aliera.  I think that the "she" referred to is the
Necromancer, who is being discussed in psychic
communication right after Sethra was talking about the
dragon.  If so, the dragon is just as likely to be
male as female.