Dragaera

Questions and Spoilers (was: Unnerving)

Tue Mar 2 18:58:35 PST 2004

--- Charlie Smith <casca913 at gbronline.com> wrote:

> [...]

   For all we know she might have used purple stones
or some other device useful in Elder Sorcery.  Even if
she didn't, the same trick seems like it would work
using any kind of magic not directed through the orb.

> > She goes on to say, "There is no limit to the
> amount of power available,
> > only to the amount one person can control.   When
> the energy isn't doing
> > anything, it need not be controlled."
> >
> > But how can SHE summon amorphia?

   She can't.  She's not summoning ammorphia.  She's
summoning sorcerous power similarly to how anyone
using the orb can do.  The great amount of power in
the presence of the Orb triggers safeguards that
disable it temporarily.  She must summon the power
with Elder Sorcery so it doesn't travel through the
Orb, alerting it to the nonthreatening nature of the
power.  The power summoned in this way apparently
comes from the Sea of Ammorphia but is not itself
Ammorphia.  Summoning ammorphia would be dependent on
her natural talents rather than just learned skills,
but would be a threat to everyone and everything
around.  The lesser Sea of Ammorphia wasn't created by
Cariss, but by the spell that Adron (a descendent of
Kieron) lost control of.

> > I wonder if Sethra can summon amorphia?

   It doesn't seem likely.  Presumably she could have
used this ability against the Jenoine she fought in
_Taltos_ with much less strain, then changed the
leftover chaos into a stone as Aliera did in _Jhereg_.
 Possibly one of the reasons she wanted Aliera back
was to have an ally with this ability.

And
> surely Kieron had lots and
> lots
> > of descendants,

   Maybe a combination of genes are needed and only
some of his descendents have all the ones needed.
Many of the lines descended from him may have lost all
the needed genes.

> It makes me wonder a question I hadn't thought
> before.  Did Dolivar have any
> children?  As such maybe the Jhereg Sorceress is
> actually a descendant of
> Vlad's previous life.

   I don't think she has any of the genes needed to
create ammorphia.  We don't really know very much
about Dolivar's life or when he died, but if he did
have children almost all Jhereg alive might be his
descendents.