Dragaera

Several Questions...

Tue Mar 2 19:36:11 PST 2004

--- Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time, Jason *Jaxel* Axelrod <jda3 at njit.edu>
> writes:
>
> > 2. Why was Barrit alive in Yendi and yet in the
> Paths of
> > the Dead at the same time?
>
> In _Taltos_, Morrolan tells Barritt that he wasn't
> aware he
> had died, and the B said he probably hadn't yet.
> Later, B
> explicitly asks Aliera not to meet him if he's still
> alive
> (I've never quite understood why... becuase he knows
> he never
> met her while alive?  reverse psychology?)

   I think he was attracted to Aliera (she was the
only one he was nice to).  He knew that she would
leave alive.  If she was at a time to meet him he
would have been attracted to her then too but couldn't
stand the fact that he would die soon and not get a
chance to know her more.

> >3. How do we know Tazendra is the soul of
> Blackwand?
>
> That's just a theory to explain Morrolan's comment
> (in
> _Taltos_) about fighting bandits while Zerika
> entered the
> Paths.

   I don't really believe this could be the
explanation (for the differing description of Zerika's
descent in _Taltos_ and _The Paths of the Dead_).
There really is no evidence that any other Great
Weapons were ever separated into components or broken
like Godslayer was.  There's no reason to think that
one normally has to kill and absorb a new soul as the
weapon's personality every time it gets a new wielder.
   Anyway, in the hardback _The Lord of Castle Black_
it seems like Blackwand is just as it is in Vlad's
time.  On page 191 Morrolan has a bond with in even
before he draws it (it comforts him).  When drawn it
has the same frightening effects on those near it
(they apparently feel the same personality of an
eager-to-kill, powerful and confident mind as Vlad
does) on pages 193 and 194.  The effects on Morrolan
seem to be the same as meeting the personality
described elsewhere on page 194.