Dragaera

Geography: Two Maps

alexx at panix.com alexx at panix.com
Tue Mar 9 16:18:32 PST 2004

> I feel very strongly the true distance is more like 50 miles, maybe even
> less, but I did not want to challenge the text except as a last resort, so I
> left it at 150 miles.

In my (not at all humble) opinion, there are two very different kinds of
text evidence, and they should be considered very differently.  The first
is a simple numerical/distance statement, the second is an account of
travel time (either explicitly or implicitly).  The first is *far* more
subject to typos, "mistransalations" and what have you than the second.
Hence, I would put a great deal more weight on "story" evidence than on
"numbers" evidence, if the two conflict.

By the by, we should probably start using each other's obsessive work in
our own, especially as regards travel times :-)

Alexx, keeper of The Dragaeran Timeline

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers.
alexx at carolingiaSPAMBL@CK.org                http://www.panix.com/~alexx
Of course, if the whole point of the offended librarians is that librarians
 can, and, wisely, do, look like anyone, then any action figure would do.
 ("Isn't that a Gandalf toy?" "Nope it's a librarian. One with a hat and
 a beard." "And he's next to a... Bettie Page toy?" "Nope. Just a cute,
 half-naked librarian with a big smile and a Bettie Page haircut.")