Dragaera

Geography: I have a map up on my website

Wed Mar 10 10:37:22 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Hart" <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 10:50 AM
Subject: RE: Geography: I have a map up on my website

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Bryan Newell wrote:
>

> > Furthemore, there are a couple of references to the Dragaera River, to
the
> > east of the city, which was apparently destroyed by Adron's disaster
(btw,
> > why didn't the chaos follow the riverbed?  What keeps it "contained",
> > especially during the Interregnum?).
> >
> > There are a couple of references to a Canal that ran from Candletown to
> > Dragaera City (again, why didn't the chaos flow through the canal?).
Why
> > build a city at a place that you have to build a Canal to for easy
> > transportation?  Perhaps there was something about the location that
we're
> > not aware of; perhaps Amorphia was more easily conjured there for
whatever
> > reason.
>

> Note that Paarfi is writing some 200 kyears after the founding of DC
> (I wonder if the initials are a little joke) - the river could have moved
> a good deal in that time.  And the river might be inconveniently swift
> coming out of the mountains, or subject to flooding, so perhaps a longer,
> easily controlled canal would make sense.  (Are there references to dams?
> I wouldn't think Dragaeran engineering could handle a serious project.)
>
> As far as the path of amorphia is concerned, I don't see what canals have
> to do with anything.  If chaos followed a low-density path it would
> consume the atmosphere - if high-density, then perhaps it would consume
> the bedrock the city was presumably built on.  Is it subject to gravity?
> Is its behavior even causal?  We don't know enough to begin to speculate.

spoiler spoiler

remember when ms. kieron asked daddy to cut off the jen from the
amorphia?... adron is still there in some form and is till AWARE... his last
act before he blew everything straight to hell was to try to draw the power
into himself as the spell went awry... i'd imagine after a period of
disorientation, he attempted on some instinctual level to pull himself
together so to speak, balling up the loose chaos goo. he is of kieron's
genetics after all..

either that or we can just blame sethra for acting all dues ex machina
again.

andy