Dragaera

Cycle Progression

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Mar 15 13:05:17 PST 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Philip Hart wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, David Silberstein wrote:

>> >I don't believe the council was present - Sethra says the results were
>> >brought to her, and she gave them to the council (_Yendi_, pg 118 [ppb]).
>> >Then Baritt, an Athyra, and a Lyorn double-checked.  Presumably Baritt
>> >brought the second set of results to the council.  Only one Lyorn needed
>> >to be fooled.  Plus of course the SiG could have changed her appearance,
>> >as I noted in a parallel post.
>> >

>> I'm reading the same page you are, and what *I* see is that Sethra the
>> Younger did the first genescan (which results Sethra Lavode brought to
>> the council), and that "the council had a committee of three do
>> another one."  So I presume that the council *saw* this committee,
>> which was Baritt, the SiG, and a Lyorn.  Why would they not want to
>> know who was undertaking this very serious task?
>
>Why throw in a Lyorn, if the council was watching?

The Lyorn is presumably unbiased and not corruptable.

>  Why not have an e'Lanya wizard check, too?  Hell, probably several
>of the council members could have done it - if say Adron was on the
>council.

Bzzzt!  Adron is the one who will be re-Heired if the gene scan finds
mixbreedness.  An e'Lanya would presumably also be biased.

The Lyorn is a disinterested party.

>> Skipping a few pages on, I see that Sethra Lavode never met the other
>> members of the committee that did the second genescan (as far as she
>> knew then, obviously).
>
>Why not have Sethra do the scan?  She's apolitical and of
>unimpeachable integrity.

Possibly, possibly.  However, she is the one who brought the matter to
the Dragon Council in the first place - I can see procedure being put
in place to have as many disinterested parties as possible.  I mean,
if *you* wanted a second opinion on something, you would try and get
it from an expert who had as little as possible to do with the person
who gave you the first opinion, just to be sure that there is no
bias, even if it is perhaps unconcious, right?

The problem was that the Dragon Council did not realize that there was
collusion between Baritt, SiG & Sethra Jr.