Dragaera

Issola, Dragon, J Whedon, and Chandler's The Long Goodbye

Wed Mar 17 15:29:22 PST 2004

--- Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> spoilers, obviously.

<snip Raymond Chandler discussion>

> Some of the above thoughts helped crystallize some
> objections I have to
> _Issola_.  Let me hasten to add that I find it
> perhaps the most enjoyable
> installment of the Vladiad since _Jhereg_, but
> perhaps that's a question
> of want/need.

I wasn't as happy with Issola as I wanted to be.  I
did enjoy it more than Orca or Athyra -- mainly
because some of my favorite characters got more page
time.  That said, my biggest issue wasn't so much a
"want vs. need" problem as it was a consistent
characterization problem.  Throughout the entire book,
I felt like M and A had been lumped into a single
character -- DRAGONLORD (read like government cheese
labeled "CHEESE" in big black letters).  I could deal
with seeing M and A's individual arrogant sides
brought out in an unusual situation, but the rest of
their personalities just seemed to disappear into a
big black void of indestructible dragonlord arrogance.
 It didn't help matters any that all of their other
personality flaws were magnified to the point of being
nearly intolerable (e.g. fighting amongst themselves,
hot-headed desire to kill things first and ask
questions later, etc.)  I've never seen M or A as
perfect, but some of the things they did in Issola
just struck me as way too stupid or way too
heavy-handed, even for dragonlords.

The other major character that bothered me in Issola
was Sethra.  She somehow moved from the zone of
"vaguely condescending most of the time and
occassionally bitchy when not in a good mood" to
"outright bitch most of the time."  I never got that
impression from Sethra before Issola.

And what about Vlad?  He spends a good amount of page
time in Issola debating whether or not he even really
like M & Co. as friends or just considers them nothing
more than people he owes honor debts to.  It seems to
me that wasn't even in question when he high-tailed it
out into the wilderness in the first place.

> Contrast this with _Dragon_, a novel I didn't much
> enjoy on first reading,
> and still only admire.

I loved Dragon.  If only as an excuse to see V
miserable and L having a great time ribbing him, it
was a fun read.  It also answered alot of questions
and gave some more insight into V's ties with his
dragonlord friends, which are things that I always
look forward to in these books.

Amy