Dragaera

OT: Bil 17.3.4

Corwin Brust corwin at mpls.cx
Mon Mar 22 22:04:03 PST 2004

This to the list, rather then by private mail, as other may enjoy the
report.

 From SKZB weblog [Thu Mar 18th, 2004 8:42 PM ]

>Another St. Patrick's day has gone by with me unable to see
>BiL

Managed to see the show arriving a few minutes before the opening act
started.  A new group (six peice) featuring Drew Miller on bass and two
violinists -one of whom was distinctly hot.  In their first song the
lead singer (who was also quite deserving of this masogniistic praise)
caught my attention as sounding somthing like Emma Bull, which which is
to say: nice.  This effect dissappeared in later tuenes, but the general
effect -that of a dynamic singer- stuck.  The group (who's name I failed
to gather)  was high energy and solid, if not quite tight, and impressed
me as, first, one of the better acts to open the St. Patty's day show,
and on the second part, as sounding more like the lead of the late
eighties and early ninties then any other I've noticed.

The Tim Malloys (the regular middle act for some four years or so) we're
excelent, as they always have been, especially at First Avenue.  They
openeined with "Bottle of  Smoke", which did a nice job of beaking up
the established setting of the Jigs and Reels which were the bulk of the
opening set.  They closed with "Let Me Go Wid" (Violent Fems), and upon
receiving an oncour did "Dirt in the Gound" and (the, I think, original)
"Bugger Off", which which they usually close, respectivly, their second
and final sets, and latter of which I continue to think hilarious.

BiL, it self, was pretty good, thou maybe not quite so hot as three
years ago when Joe Kesler _and_ Dave Stensial played, as well as Todd
Menton and other guests I don't know as well.

Adam had hut his hand earlier in the day, and this may have showed a
little more in his performance with Lead then it had in that with the
Malloys.  OTOH, his solos left me, as usual, slack jawed.  For me,
however, the definate high point was Fisherman Bob (Robbin Adnon Anders)
and, in particular, his Doombeck solo on "Drowning" (Old Lead?) and kit
solo, on the next song, whatever that was.  I forget.  I was in awe.
It's wierd to forget the name of a song which you can later remeber you
knew the words of.   The audience (which may have been silghtly smaller
then 'twas two years ago when I was last present) was on it's feet from
the first song ("Hide My Track" (Song From The Gypsy), for which Steve
was named -as was _The_Gypsy_- as author, afterwords) to the last I saw
-I left dirring the first oncour.

Bil did two other SKZB songs, "Bring it Round" (Antler Dance) and
another that I can't seem to recall, just at present, so maybe it was
only two total.  They also did "Rasputine" (which I like) and did not do
"Black Crows" which Dad likes, so that's probably just as well, if your him.

All in all a great show, but one with room for improvement when, as Dad
says:

>With any luck, I'll be back in Minnesota by this time
>next year.

Corwin