Dragaera

Geography: Spearhead Channel

Tue Mar 23 00:10:47 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Sean Whalen wrote:

> --- Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > Careful there.  The Great Sea of Chaos may not be attached to the
> > primary (remaining) continent at all.
>
>    For whatever reason, most people in Dragaera don't seem to have ever
> gone to or be at all familiar with any other places on their planet.
> They've never traveled to the East or been beyond it, never crossed the
> sea, have no idea what other continents there are.

Do we know this?  Page 22 of _Phoenix_ is the only evidence I'm aware of.
There is mention of a Maelstrom which ships can't pass - perhaps that's
the Greater Sea, abutted by the Grey Rocks and Spindrift Lands.  Anyway,
Vlad is sadly incurious on various details of his world.  I can well
imagine that the Kieron line is more familiar with geography.  Perhaps
an e'Kieron could sail past the Maelstrom.

Do we in fact know of anyone who has taken a chaos bath besides Aliera?
(Kieron?  Sethra or Grita, genetics be damned?  I don't recall purple
stones in the latter two's presence.  Well, Iceflame is blue...)  It could
be that Aliera's trip to the Greater Sea is a very rare event, perhaps
aided by teleportation (say using an image from a traveller, or Morrolan's
windows).  I could also imagine that the purple stones are brought from
some other land by means of trade.

On the other hand, Sethra talks about the world (e.g. in _Issola_) very
much as if the continent we know is the whole story.

Note that long-distance travel was not easy under pre-Interregnum
conditions.  And note that the Eastern Mountains were probably designed
to be nearly impassible, and the difficulty noted in _Phoenix_.