Dragaera

Alternate ending for _Jhereg_

Thu Mar 25 12:35:16 PST 2004

--- Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
> > Not necessarily.  So far, as far as he knows, his plan is working
> > swimmingly.  If Vlad displayed such intimate knowledge of his plan,
> > I suspect that would surprise him, and thus make him more wary.
>

> Dumb question perhaps, but why doesn't Mellar speed the process along by
> either covertly putting out word on the Jhereg street that he's at CB

The more time pressure the Jhereg are under, the more likely they'll
just assassinate him instead of coming up with something creative.  Of
course, he can't let 17 days go by before they find him.

> or
> by having a hit done on himself (and arrange to have it be permanent but
> not Morganti)?  Even if the work got traced back to him eventually, the
> war would be well underway.

That's an interesting one, but the work might get traced back to him
quite quickly--Vlad tells the Demon, "Why didn't you give me a little
more time?" and the Demon says, "What?"

> Basically he's standing around daring the
> best minds in the Jhereg and Dragon to outthink him - why wait?

One reason may be that he specifically wants to triumph over those
best minds.  But I'm just speculating.

--
Jerry Friedman