Dragaera

Poker

Tue Apr 6 11:40:56 PDT 2004

--- Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Mark A Mandel wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, skzb wrote:
> >
> > #It's actually more often the other way around:

Naturally: in an n-hand game it's n-1 times more likely that
someone else will be dealt "the nuts" than that you will.

> trying to represent that you
> > #have the best possible hand (technically called "the nuts") by
> betting
> > #strongly into the guy who actually has it.  I have learned that, in
> the
> > #long-run, this is not a money-making venture.
> >
> > "Betting into" = "betting against"?

You simply have no idea how hard it is for me to remember
whether, if Reega is into Fyres, he owes her money or she owes
him money.  I can't find it on any Web dictionaries (including
UrbanDictionary.com), but I think it's in the New Shorter Oxford,
which I have at home.

I also can't remember who owes who money in _Orca_, but as Vlad
points out, it doesn't matter much.

> We say "spitting into the wind", not "against", don't we?

I think I could say "spitting against the wind".  And "running
into the wind."

http://quizilla.com/users/BaalObsidian/quizzes/How%20grammatically%20sound%20are%20you%3F/
> )

Ridiculous.  I too got a result of "Grammar God", but by giving the
answers I thought they wanted, not the ones I think are correct
in formal writing.  And of course there's a typo.  (I figured out
why they bother me so much.  "It's in the blood."  I'm type O-.)

You can make an excellent case that the American answers to
questions 1 and 2 are different from the British ones.

> - last night I had to break it to some otherwise very fluent friends
> that "a colleague of us" isn't English.  Why is "ours" necessary here?

Already answered.

Jerry Friedman