Dragaera

Alternate ending for _Jhereg_

Wed Apr 7 09:44:20 PDT 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Matthew Hunter wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 02:04:10PM -0800, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> > > Jerry Friedman likes Gene Wolfe's books a lot.
> > For those who haven't read Wolfe's new novel, _The Knight_, I'd say it's
> > something of a return to form, plus I think I see a few references to
> > SKZB's work...
>
> Do share.  I didn't catch any, but I wasn't reading closely the
> first time through.

spoiler space for _The Knight_:

When I reread _The Knight_ I'll have to pay a bit of attention, but
Sword Breaker and the shapeshifting dog plus the cat that accompany
the hero reminded me of Vlad and the Warlock.  Perhaps SKZB and Wolfe
were both drawing on the same stories for the latter, but that doesn't
rule out possible influence.  I think I saw one or two other points of
interest but it's hard to tell with Wolfe.