Dragaera

teleportation to the East

Fri Apr 23 07:41:47 PDT 2004

> > Is it coordinates that a teleporter needs or a
> clear visualization of
> > the target location?
>
> Either I believe - though I don't know what
> "coordinates" means.  I
> seem to recall that in _Taltos_ "coordinates" are
> inserted into one of
> Vlad's sorcerers, presumably by sorcery.

This goes back to that whole geography discussion
and how much math is known and by whom. (Did I
get that right Mark? :-)  My working hypothesis
is that both visualization and coordinates can be
used, and more skill is required for coordinates
(and a greater knowledge of math?).  Something
I have been wondering is: What is used as a
reference for coordinates?  Probably the Orb and
two other objects (x,y,z) (think GPS), but they
need to be small (so not the Greater or Lesser
Sea) to reduce errors.  Perhaps there's an
e'Barrit system and a Lavode system and a
e'Drien system, etc.  The e'Barrit system is
probably x,y,z with the orb and special staffs or
objects.  The Lavode system would probably be
something more complicated like polar coordinates
(distance, angle from north, angle from ground level
(altitude).  Then you only need the Orb.  I would
bet necromantic math is something else entirely.
Sorry for rambling, geometry and mapping is a
hobby of mine.

Ken