Dragaera

Draegeran Economy

Wed Apr 28 21:36:11 PDT 2004

>From what I understand of it, the Imperial currency is supposed to be backed by the Imperial treasury...at least when it comes to notes.

As for the coinage, again from what I understand of it, it is not all made of pure gold.

Even the U.S. has had many different divisions of coin.  At the turn of the 19th century, coins were made from gold, silver, nickle and copper.  The two-bit, a coin made of gold a bit smaller and thinner than a dime, was made of gold and worth, ironically, $2.50.  The double eagle was approximately the size of a quarter and worth $20.  (I may be off in the denominations, because I believe there was another eagle-stamped coin worth $100, but I am not completely positive)

However, with notes being more common, I *think* Steve is trying to show the slow evolution from a metal-based economy to a production-based economy.  The U.S. today could not have, say, a gold based economy....there simply isn't enough gold, for one.  For another, we have so much better uses for the stuff now than for coins to get lost in sewers.  Plating electrodes, for example.

The technological advances in sorcery on Draegera, especially in transportation, make a production-based economy feasable.

If I am correct in my hypothesis, I hope Steve gives me a chocolate, not a grapefruit.

Peace,
Caliann

"Offense theives. -- they take it when it isn't offered." --Tom Digby