Dragaera

Brust Interview

Sat May 22 08:23:22 PDT 2004

Mark wrote:

> Shawn wrote:
>
>  >Val Kilmer sure does sound like he's saying "I'm here huckleberry"
> doesn't
> >he? But I don't think Steve does.
>
> Tim answered:
>
> Oops!  Now it's my turn to apologize for being an idiot.  Thanks.  Not
> only
> does it sound like "I'm here",  but that response would be appropriate
> for
> stepping out the shadows at that moment as he did in the film.  Or
> perhaps I
> need to see an ear doctor and have an enormous amount of wax removed.
> <<<
>
> Or maybe Val Kilmer was articulating the line poorly.  Or maybe he
> wasn't speaking it as written, but actually did say, and mean to say,
> "I'm here Huckleberry".

I think I can agree that he articulates the line poorly, but Steve also
pointed out to me that he says it twice (once earlier, in town) and at that
time it sounds more like "your" than "here", even with the odd
pronunciation. So I don't think he would have meant to say "here" at the end
of the film.

Of course, the end could have been shot weeks before the scene in town, and
he could have made the mistake in the end scene and then corrected himself
later, and no one caught that he had pronounced it ambiguously while
stepping out of the shadows.

It's just very satisfying for him to say "I'm here, huckleberry" as he steps
out of the shadows, accepting the challenge. I think I want to hear him
saying it, and so I do.

Shawn