Dragaera

From Neil Gaiman's journal

Sun May 30 13:44:55 PDT 2004

David Dyer-Bennet writes:
  "bonham15" <bonham15 at cox.net> writes:
  > i actually came to lord of light rather late. i think last year it was that
  > i picked it up for something like fifty cents from a used book store.  it
  > has held up amazingly well for a 40 year old story, as good ones will imho
  That's an attitude that continues to catch me by surprise -- that you
  expect new stories to be *better* than old stories.  I expect exactly
  the reverse; we're living with the cream skimmed off a few thousand
  years of literary history, and the best stuff from that much time is
  mostly incomparably better than nearly anything created this year.  It
  takes something really fantastic like _A Fire Upon the Deep_, say, to
  even look like a *candidate* for that sort of status in the long run.

A story sometimes exists in the context of the time it was written,
though, and many stories don't age very well.

rone
--
Crap's Law: 90% of fish cytogenics is sturgeon.				- Kibo