Dragaera

OT: Monty *Hall*

Fri Jun 4 14:46:33 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 04:27:59PM -0500, Johne Cook wrote:
> http://letsmakeadeal.com/mh-Bio.htm
>
> It's Monty *Hall*.
>
> Sorry, I had to get that out of my system.  Occupational hazard.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/games/roleplay/dnd/part5/

 G8:  Who's this "Monty Haul" character I keep hearing about?

 A:  Monty Hall was the host of the 60's & 70's, and 90's American game
     show _Let's Make a Deal_.  People would dress up in silly costumes,
     then be chosen out of the crowd to play the game.  Monty would give
     the lucky contestant a handful of money, then talk them into trading
     the money for whatever was behind door number one, door number two,
     door number three, or what was in the box, or they could just keep the
     money.  Each time they traded, he would give them another choice.
     After they decided to stick with a choice, Monty revealed what had
     been won.  Prizes could be anything, good or bad, such as money, cars,
     jewelry, a years supply of auto wax, goats, inner tubes, exotic
     vacations, a pound of confetti, etc.  Gary Gygax named the style of
     play where game masters hid treasures behind some doors, monsters
     behind others and then let the players choose their fate "Monty Haul"
     gaming, making a pun on the game show host's name.
       The term has come to be used to refer to sessions where game masters
     encourage munchkin players; basically any game can be considered a
     Monty Haul game where the game master sets up unfathomable amounts of
     treasure and earth-shattering magic items guarded by weak and wimpy
     monsters, thus giving enormous amounts of power to beginning-level
     characters.

So for our purposes, Haul.

-xx- Damien X-)