Dragaera

A question about language terminology

Wed Jun 9 18:13:04 PDT 2004

See
http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/001941.html
for a recent discussion.

>From my comment:

In Modern English Usage, Fowler gives a fairly simple definition:

    Irony is a form of utterance that postulates a double audience,
    consisting of one party that hearing shall hear and shall not
    understand, and another party that, when more is meant than meets
    the ear, is aware, both of that "more" and of the outsider's
    incomprehension.

He goes on to list three main categories of irony: Socratic irony
(Socrates pretends ignorance to manipulate the dogmatists and to amuse his
followers), dramatic irony (the point being that Sophocles's audience knew
the story already), and irony of fate (the idea being that most people
ignorantly expect an orderly or a cooperative natural world but we the
clued in don't). He says it's important not to apply "irony of fate" to
every "trivial oddity" - which rules out the wedding day example in my
book. And Richard's situation isn't ironic in my view - if we knew
that a horse would cause the kingdom's downfall it might be, but as is
it's just tragic.

Anyway, this article is largely based, but also expands, on Fowler:

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Irony

A commenter suggested
   How about: annoying, frustrating, cussed? inconvenient or disastrous?
as alternatives.  I think Fowler says something very British like "It's a
rum thing."