Dragaera

Dangerous Liasons & Tombstone

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Mon Jun 21 22:10:10 PDT 2004

Philip Hart wrote:
> I have no desire to be alive hundreds of thousands of years from now -
> The best thing would have been never to have been born, to quote Heine.

That's a particularly meaningless sense of "best," I think.

I've thought a lot about existence, consciousness, self-perception, identity
and death.  Being, as I am, quite soundly nonreligious, I'm convinced that
consciousness and identity cease at death.  We go back to exactly as we were
before we were born, that is, to mindless nonexistence.  Death, as a thing
in itself, only has meaning in relation to those left alive.

That's one.

The other is that I'm reasonably sure that a greatly extended lifespan would
not change a human in any really significant way.  It would just be life, but
without the bit at the very end, the ceasing-to-exist stuff.  We do, after all,
live in the present.

Personally, I think that someone who dislikes the idea of living a very, very
long time (essentially forever) is either in a lot of pain or is simply very
unimaginative.  I've been the former but never the latter. :-)
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/