Dragaera

Dangerous Liasons & Tombstone

Tue Jun 22 12:36:00 PDT 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, David Silberstein wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Philip Hart wrote:
>

> >I have no desire to be alive hundreds of thousands of years from now -
> >The best thing would have been never to have been born, to quote Heine.
> >(
> >http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pommeren/Gedichte/HeineNachlese/morphine.htm
> >http://www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp?poet=19764&poem=195364
> >)

> Ecclesiastes expressed the same sentiment (4:1-4:3) long before
> Heine, which is ironic given what that book is better known for.
>
>    http://ebible.org/bible/web/Eccl.htm

If I understand correctly, he's saying it's best not to have been born
yet - the other would indeed be odd in a work included in the Christian
bible.

Ecc. is perhaps 900 BCE?  I could find some non-yet quotes from Sophocles
or Euripides I think - I believe it was a common Greek attitude, like
"Count no man lucky until he's dead".  Well, Herodotus has Solon say,
"Now if a man thus favored dies as he has lived, he will be just the one
you are looking for: the only sort of person who deserves to be called
happy. But mark this: until he is dead, keep the word 'happy' in reserve.
Till then, he is not happy, but only lucky." - slightly different.

"Lucky" is on the list lately - "happy" is etymologically similar, I bet
- in German more or less the same word I think.

Sethra seems happy, but then again she also expresses a desire to be a
rock.