Dragaera

Off topic - grammar question

Tue Jun 22 16:04:37 PDT 2004

--- Michele Riccio <mr1 at rcosta.com> wrote:

> Since this group comprises the most intelligent people I know (hey -
> it never hurts to compliment when asking for a favor) - I was
> wondering if anyone could help on a point of grammar.
>
> Which is correct:
> walk-ins
> walk ins
> walkins
> walk in's
>
> for use in the sentence:  "walk-ins are welcome" - which will be
> posted on a web site.
>
> thanks in advance!

I agree with you and Philip--"Walk-ins".  It's clearly one word--a
phrasal verb used as a noun--so it should be hyphenated or solid,
and I don't think we're ready for "walkins" yet.

Questions like this are on topic (which I prefer to "on-topic"
when it's the complement of "to be") at alt.usage.english.
You'll probably get good answers there in addition to the
overly technical, strange, and facetious answers, not to mention
people feuding with each other.  Those useless answers caused a
highly intelligent physicist I could name to say he wouldn't hang
out in a.u.e. till he gets a brain upgrade.  But I like it, and
some there people are nicer if your name could be that of a
non-native speaker of English.

Jerry Friedman