Dragaera

Off topic - grammar question

Mark A Mandel mam at TheWorld.com
Wed Jun 23 14:23:42 PDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Philip Hart wrote:

#>    a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
#> [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]
#>
#> #Southerner: "Mornin'. What're y'all up to?"
#> #Northerner: "In the civilized north, we do not end sentences in a
#> #preposition."
#> #Southerner: *thinks* "So, what're y'all up to, asshole?"
#>
#> In Latin you couldn't. In English you can. I agree with the Southerner
#> here.
#
#
#This part of the text prepared by hand?

No, just appended in the PS.

  Anyway, is it the case that this
#is a hard rule in Latin?  The word order is seriously flexible, esp. in
#poetry.  I guess prepositions aren't separable from their nouns and must
#proceed them, hence no final prepositions - maybe someone can find an

 precede

#exception though in Horace or Vergil.

Actually, I think they can move around a lot in poetry. But that doesn't
say anything about prose, including conversation.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody