Dragaera

Off topic - grammar question

Wed Jun 23 11:10:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 10:19, Mark A Mandel wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Joshua Kronengold wrote:
>
> #Chris Olson - SunPS writes:
> #>Philip Hart wrote:
> #>> How do you feel about the pluralization of the abbreviation of "compact
> #>> disk"?
> #>I can't be the only person who writes "I have a lot of CDs",
> #>can I?
> #
> #Nope.
> #
> #And if you duplicated the city I live in, you'd have multiple NYs.
>
> "What city has two names, twice?"

Heh.  Blish, _Cities in Flight_.  Not bad, but I couldn't suspend my
disbelief enough to enjoy it.  I mean, I didn't have a problem with
whole cities blasting off into space.  And I could handle drugs that
give imortality.  But when he tried to say an actor was going to become
president of the United States it just blew it for me.

(And, no, the above is not original.)