Dragaera

Food and drink

Wed Jun 30 15:26:18 PDT 2004

Mark A Mandel <mam at TheWorld.com> wrote:
Catching up on some old mail, although hit or miss...

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Joy Jennifer Nicholson wrote:

#A discussion of food and drink could easily become a discussion of the plants
#and animals of Dragaera, which I would enjoy.
#
#For example, what kind of animal is a kethna? I'd always imagined it
#as some sort of bird, perhaps rather like a chicken, but in LoCB a
#"suckling kethna" is served, suggesting that it is more likely to be a
#mammal. What parallels can we draw between Dragaeran fauna and our
#own?

>More specifically than that, I have always assumed that it was a pig or
>very much like one. I don't remember the citations but we do have
>"kethna bacon", and somewhere in Sethra Lavode there is the mention of
>an area that is renowned for, among other things, the stench of its
>kethna pens.

I seem to recall Vlad and/or his dinner companion having Kethna ribs quite often.  I'm thinking pig as in "Baby Back Ribs", chicken ribs would be kind of hard to manage.

~Tim