Dragaera

Steve's Weblog

Thu Jul 8 12:02:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Casey Rousseau wrote:

> Steve blogged:
> >I think I write gooder now than I usta did.
>
> Well, I hope so.  Imagine how you'd feel if after twenty years of
> writing for a living you hadn't improved at all.

It's not clear to me that this expectation is generally justified. I
suspect that in SF it's rarer to see monotonically improving writing than
a sharp improvement followed by a slow decline.  In poetry certainly
people often just run out of experience to draw on (at least until they
hit late old age).  Why Silverberg or Zelazny (or LeGuin after say _The
Dispossesed_; or Wolfe after the New Sun; or...) peaked early I can't say.
Maybe something about ambition and careers and life.