Dragaera

Duplicates

Wed Jul 21 11:42:26 PDT 2004

> I assure you that I've spent a really quite remarkable
> percentage of my life recently examining the qmail logs, and
> then the things that write them.

I'm a sendmail guy myself, so I can't offer any insight. However, the thing
I always tell my kids when they've lost something is "If you can't find it
in the places where it's supposed to be, look in the places where it's NOT
supposed to be."

In this case, if we accept the proposition that nothing has changed in qmail
then we have to look for changes outside of qmail.

Does qmail feed into procmail the way sendmail does or is it a delivery
agent like procmail? Is there any chance that something is feeding into one
or more accounts that are, in turn,  feeding into procmail (say, to read
some anti-spam rules) which is then feeding back into qmail for the final
delivery and causing a loop? Maybe some changes to the global procmailrc
file?

I don't know if this helps things or obfuscates them further, but I've
noticed that I periodically seem to be missing posts as well as getting
duplicates. It's one of the things that makes me wonder about a spam filter
gone amuck. (I'd also suspect a problem with someone's .forward file.)

Anyway, best of luck with the investigation. It sucks having to debug a
system with almost no solid clues about where the problem lies.