Dragaera

Name similarities and pure speculation

Thu Jul 22 12:26:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Mark A Mandel wrote:

 > In point of fact, after >200,000 years no name or word or language would
 > be recognizable.

Given the correction factor of perhaps x30, and the continuous control of
territory by one culture, I don't know if I agree.  For example, when
someone refers to "breaking the stick" from the 6th cycle, is she
translating?  Could someone important who lived the entire time (and was
much at court) single-handedly stabilize the language?

<cough> sethra </cough> But could she? Remember the interlude in SL, it
shows how her tates and personality have changed over time, I would imagine
her command of the language would as well. Otherwise, she would occasionally
make a comment that would be out of place (time), and given how rarely she
speaks, it would have been noted. Still, the question of the effect of
Sethra Lavode on Dragearean history is a good one, although the answer would
require a bit of space. (Perhaps another 17 novels, if Steven ever loses
intrest in Vlad?)

Jeff