Dragaera

http://roommatefromhell.com/

Tue Aug 10 12:41:36 PDT 2004

I've never heard of Jim Munroe, but he's got an interesting idea for a blog;
he's using it as a vehicle for telling a book-length story in 88 parts.

When I was younger and single, I had this idea that I'd write one page of a
recurring story per day as an exercise in pulpish adventure as a gift for my
intended.   Nowadays, that would take the form of a blog.

Here's the write-up of the exercise:
http://nomediakings.org/books/roommatefromhellcom.html

"When Kate discovers that her roommate identifies as a demoness, she figures
it's too sacrilicious a secret to keep to herself: she tells all on her
blog, roommatefromhell.com.

This is the basic gist of my new book, An Opening Act of Unspeakable Evil, a
tale of the urban occult told entirely through Kate's entries. Starting
today, I'll be posting one a day to the faux roommatefromhell.com blog until
all 88 entries (the whole book) are up. After that I'll be writing a spinoff
story based on how the poll on the site goes."

Jim Munroe is a novelist who left HarperCollins to showcase and propagate
indie press alternatives to Rupert Murdoch-style consolidation. Why should
media magnates have all the fun?

Here's a snip:
http://roommatefromhell.com/

"She handed me a beer and I toasted her. “That was— Remind me never to call
you a whore,” I said. I took a swig from the bottle and put it on the bar
because my hand was a little shaky. I cast around for a stool because my
legs were rubbery, too.

She smiled. Her hand was steady, but her eyes were a little funny. She
turned her head as a boy she knew came by before I could really look. Maybe
I would have seen that quality I’d seen tonight in them. Maybe they would
have been flying.

OK, I’m still smelling that weird smell. I’m going to go check her room.
Maybe a candle’s still burning or something."

johne (phy) cook
wisconsin, usa