Dragaera

RPG advice?

Tue Aug 10 13:22:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:11:39AM -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:36:14 -0400, Jim Simons <jsimons at genelco.com> wrote:
> >>- Allen S. Rout wrote
> >>I'm musing about running a HERO RPG campaign in dragaera, and
> >>was wondering if
> >>anyone had run across technical opinions about game mechanics, or was
> >>interested in discussing same.
> I did role playing games back when the D&D rules were a non-magical
> pamplet called _Chainmail_, and stopped before they got to hard bound
> rules.
>
> I recently started reading Elizabeth Moon (she's going to be MileHiCon
> GOH), and when I found her first book, was disapointed to see that trilogy
> was in a basic D&D world.  She got more creative since then.

Well, that's debateable.

I think Moon's Paksenarrion trilogy was an excellent
implementation of a standard "D&D-type" adventure.  It's well
written and enjoyable to read, even though it is clearly set in
a world very similar to GreyHawk (with the serial numbers filed
off).   It certainly didn't disappoint me.  Her later books often
did, to the extent that I haven't read most of them.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt