Dragaera

Vlad and the Orb

David Silberstein davids at Kithrup.COM
Tue Aug 24 00:33:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Philip Hart wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, David Silberstein wrote:
>
>> Remember, this particular murder took place when Vlad was very
>> young, just starting out in the Organization.  He hadn't met any
>> of his powerful Dragon friends at that point; [...]
>
>Not entirely accurate - which is why I posed my speculation on the
>chain of influence as I did earlier in the thread...

I take your point, but I think it would have been highly
indiscreet, and also unnecessary, for the individual to whom you
have the honor to refer to have interceded directly with the
Empress at that point in time.  Which is why I phrased *my*
speculation in the way that I did.

>Anyway, seems to me that the simplest explanation is that the Jhereg
>Council ordered or blessed or approved of the hit and said so to the
>Empire, which followed its Let the Jhereg bury the Jhereg policy.

We have seen no evidence that the Jhereg Council orders or blesses
or approves *any* operations at Vlad's level.  Indeed, their
philosophy is almost certainly that as long as their share of
golden Imperials for the area continues to arrive with as little
delay as possible, they take no notice whatsoever.

Although - I am trying to recall if Vlad did get permission before
or perhaps after the fact from the Jhereg who was in charge of that
part of the city to take over that area.  Hmm.

>Re the original mess-with-memory suggestion, I think if I were to go
>into such an interrogation I would want to know all the facts so I
>could correctly answer the warm-ups (How long did you work for T...?

  "I don't know who that is." (True)

>You don't know who your boss is?

  "No." (True)

>Why don't you remember?)

  "I don't know" (True)

But I am less inclined to give weight to that idea.