Dragaera

Joining a house, or changing houses

FRIEDA2133 at aol.com FRIEDA2133 at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 21:53:03 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 07:37, S SHafer wrote:
> Spoiler for Sethra Lavode:

Spoiler for future books and Vladiad and Paarfiad below

> I also wonder about reincarnation and house.
> Vlad/Kieron certainly wasn't reincarnated back into
> his house (or even his race), but does house normally
> play some role in how/where a Dragaeran is
> reincarnated?

James Burbidge wrote on Sept. 1, 2004

>Vlad is a reincarnation of D*, not Kieron, and D* is the
>archetypal Jhereg (although admittedly, earlier, a Dragon).  So
>reincarnation in the examples we know about -- Vlad and Aliera --
>ertainly seems to follow the Houses.

I replaced D's name with * because of Dragaera search.

I think S SHafer meant Vlad/e'Kieron Dragon line.

Did I mention Spoiler for future books and
Vladiad and Paarfiad below?

But I think Steven Brust's wants us to figure it out
or at least wonder and reflect about it.

I used to think Vlad was being punished for something really
horrible that he did when he was a Dragon and that he was the
only one reincarnated into another house.  I set up lots of
rules and tried to find D* in Paarfiad.

Try it.  It is fun.  It changes how you re-read the books.

I think it hurt my head.

Keep reading if you want to see my ideas, but do not say
I did not warn you.

I had thought D* was Piro(because he "appreciated a good meal")
and then I thought D* was Pel(because he acted like a Dragon
and his eyes) which meant D* could not be Piro.  Then I
thought it could be Aerich and I was worried for a bit that
Steven would make D* be Tazendra.  Then I got scared that
Vlad's son was going to turn out to be Kieron.  I settled
on Pel because I wanted D* to be Pel.

Then I was trying to find something about the state of the
Law in the Phoenix Guards and came across a three-letter word.
Ah ha, but is it a clue or a trick.  Maybe D* is really this
other guy. Both are friends of Sethra Lavode.  But doesn't
the other guy really sound like someone else with a staff
and big sword.  Ah ha, these two men are dead before Vlad
is born, before Piro and before M*.

Hmmm, in Five Hundred Years After a dead body with an Amulet
of C*******--ph*enix stone or a ch*in with an Amulet....just like in
Sethra Lavode...no mention of the color or what made of.
Is something trying to get back to D*.  No mention of the
third dead body.  And what happened to candlebud?  I think
there is another book hiding in The Phoenix Guards or maybe
a book about a couple of hundred years before with a chapter
or two explaining the missing parts in The Phoenix Guards.

So I started re-reading The Phoenix Guards to look for more
clues on these two men and I started to see D* in lots of
people. They cannot all be D*.  Now all of sudden this
>from Issola made sense.

Issola page 41 paperback

"Consider those you know of who were once your family,
and those who mattered to you in a time too faded in the mist
for you to imagine, much less remember.  Kieron is gone now,
and remains in the Paths of the Dead awaiting his moment...
I think we were all, even then, marked out by the gods."

I threw out all my rules and kept just the rule that a soul
cannot be in two places at once. And sometimes you just have
to assume someone is dead like Pel or Piro.

How many others are switching Houses?  Which one is D*?  Was
Cawti always an Easterner?  One of my earlier assumptions was
that there was a D* kept meeting up with his true love.

Maybe no one else is being reincarnated into another House--
just D* Dragon to Vlad Easterner...with 250,000 years as a
purple robe after meeting up with his brother in the Paths of
the Dead.

I hope I have not spoiled anything.  Or maybe everyone just
stopped reading a while ago because this is so long.  Heh.

Have to sleep now.

Bye.

Linda G.