Dragaera

genetics and the soul pararectal!

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Fri Sep 10 18:21:00 PDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Chris Olson - SunPS wrote:

#lazarus wrote:
#> My recollection is that House Jhereg is the only House with no genetic
#> input.  They were just the dregs and scavengers left over after all
#> the other houses formed, and sarcastically gave themselves a critter
#> name as well.

And they were also raiders, i.e., scavengers of a sort.

#>
#> Not to say Loiosh hasn't helped Vlad a great deal, but not in the
#> manner you're thinking.
#
#Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I believe the Jhereg
#House started as an amalgam of the tribes that didn't
#make it into Kieron's Top 15 list (they didn't count
#the Teckla, who always seem to get the short end of
#the lepip).  Aliera told Vlad that, over time, the
#mixture of genes that made up the Jhereg formed it's
#own detectable gene-strain (so to speak).
#
#If that's the case (hey, she's been wrong before:), Jhereg
#were originaly made from all the left-over animals.
#Hmm... wonder if there are any daar or kethna in there....
#
#So, yes, I don't believe there are jhereg genes in the
#Jhereg; they're kind of like the Dragaeran melting-pot.
#Although, they do portray jhereg-like traits, which makes
#me wonder how many dragaerans are influenced by genes,
#and how many by memes.  Hmm, again.

Well, there were originally something like 33 Houses, only 16 of which,
plus the Jhereg, survived to form the Empire. For all we know, there
COULD have originally been a genetic House Jhereg. And if there was,
some of their genes might have wound up to the bouillabaisse that is the
"modern" House Jhereg.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   http://cracksandshards.com
   a Steven Brust Dragaera fan website
[I talk, Dragon NaturallySpeaking types, I correct. Neither of us is
perfect.]