Dragaera

Okay, new topic - Brust in person

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Tue Sep 21 10:16:58 PDT 2004

FRIEDA2133 at aol.com writes:
>Joshua Kronengold wrote in response on Fri, 17 Sep 2004
>>Er..they're a concious and deliberate pastiche.
>>As, in some ways, are the Vlad books.
>I had to look up pastiche again. "a literary, artistic, musical,
>or architectural work that imitates the style of previous work".
>AOL dictionary.

Right.

>Phoenix Guards was written in 1991 and Five Hundred Years was
>written in 1994.

IOW, there is no "recent/older" work split.  Just two different series
in the same universe.

>An additional topic you could discuss with Steven Brust is to
>have him tell the story of how he got the honor of writing the
>Foreword and Afterword to a translation of The Three Musketeers
>and why he likes that translation above others.

I'd probably ask him about drumming and music, but maybe that's just
me.

>Joshua, I am wondering ("Some Reflect, Others Wonder"  The
>Phoenix Guards Chapter 18.) what ways you think the Vlad books
>imitate the style of a previous work?

Google for Taltos and Chandler.  Unlike the Guards books, they do not,
to my knowledge, use specific scenes, story elements, and themes from
a previous work, but they are very much a pastiche of Chandler
language-wise.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org))  |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick    /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'