Dragaera

Okay, new topic - Brust in person

Thu Sep 23 11:25:02 PDT 2004

> Spaekin o' tirst, I chust raicently heard the poem o' "The SS
> Politician", on the "Thistle and Shamrock" radio programme.
> Apparantly based on a true happening.
>
>    http://www.rampantscotland.com/poetry/blpoems_politician.htm
>
>    http://www.searoom.com/veleda/politician.htm
>
>    "Och, times are hard in Barra"

[*snip*]

It is a true story, they even made a movie about it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042040/

"Whiskey Galore"

To continue the drinking references:

Barra is the ancestral (and current seat) for the Clan MacNeil,
and the castle is Kisimul Castle [1].  The Clan MacNeil recently
leased it to Historic Scotland (for preservation and restoration)
for 1000 years.  The annual lease cost?  1 pound and a bottle of whisky.
(Scotch to those of us on the left side of the pond)  :)

-Jot

[1] The castle is an interesting place. It sits on an island
in the middle of the bay.  A freak of geology resulted in it
having a _fresh_ water spring, and as a result of the tides,
even toilets that flush twice a day.  Before heavy artillery
it would have been very difficult to seige a force out of it.

http://www.castles.org/Chatelaine/KISIMUL.HTM
--
Jot Powers 	<books at bofh.com> 		http://www.bofh.com/books/
"I'm upping my standards, so up yours!"