Dragaera

Quote on judgement

Chris Olson - SunPS Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 23 14:24:51 PDT 2004

David Silberstein wrote:
> Issola, pg 243:
>
>    A famous Iorich once said that the difficult part of being a
>    Justicer was sounding one hundred percent when you felt
>    fifty-one percent.
>
> This quote sounds very familiar to me.  For some reason, I thought
> it might be from Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr, but Google does not
> appear to support this.  And so many of the words are sufficiently
> common that Google is not helping me track it down.  Or perhaps I
> am not thinking of something.
>
> Actually, in thinking about it, it might not have been a judge who
> said it.  For some reason I am thinking it was said by an umpire,
> or other sport referee.
>
> Anyway.  Anyone know of it?

It refers to lawyers and their clients.
Arguing a case, they need to sound one hundred percent
certain, even if they're not really sure at all.

Well, that's good lawyers, I guess.  There are always those
who fall asleep in court.

:)
Chris (who sounds 100%

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go.
It is the basic condition of life, to be required to
violate your own identity. At some time, every creature
which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow,
the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work,
the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe."

- "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" - Philip K. Dick
 about this answer, eh?;)