Dragaera

Idle Speculation - The Tekla Republic

Tue Sep 28 13:43:59 PDT 2004

Judging by how matter of factly Dragaeran historians talk about a Tekla
Republic, it seems that the Tekla must always be forming this sort of
government when the cycle turns their way.

I'm wondering what sort of government it is that they create. Is it a
republic like our own, or is it more of a constitutional monarchy? Does it
have a parliament? How often are elections held? How long does the ruler
hold power? Does a Tekla Republic actually last past the tenure of the
initially elected leader?

Most importantly, what part does the orb play in a republic of duly elected
rulers? If the case of Adron's Disaster as told by Paarfi is reasonably
accurate, the orb instinctively knows who the heir of the next house is.

What happens when the previous (Athyra?) house's ruler dies in office? Would
the orb simply sit idle, creating a mini-Interregnum until an elected leader
takes office? I suppose I can see where this would be seen as a signal that
the Cycle had turned, the loss of sorcery triggering the rebellion that
would cause the change in government.

Perhaps the question has never come up. It may simply be that in seventeen
cycles (Zerika's reign is the end/beginning of a Great Cycle: How many Great
Cycles have there been? Is this the first, as I suspect?) no Athyra(?) ruler
has died in office. Instead, the Tekla Revolution occurs and the orb is
handed over in an orderly manner from the current Emporer to the new
President after elections are held.

I'd ask what happens if a President refuses to hand the orb over to his
incoming replacement,but I'd expect that the answer to that is either 1) The
orb simply moves of its own accord as it recognizes its rightful holder or
2) civil war results and the next House in line attempts to take the throne
since the rule of a Tekla dictator is a sure sign that the Cycle has turned
(or is ready to do so).

I wonder what Paarfi would have to say about it?

Scott Schultz
scott at cjhunter.com