Dragaera

Okay, new topic - Brust in person

David Silberstein davids at Kithrup.COM
Thu Sep 30 11:27:36 PDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Ken Koester wrote:

>Not Chandler, Zelazny.  But that gets less and less strong as the
>series unrolls.

Hm.  Is it not possible that Zelazny was influenced by Chandler as
well (and Brust is influenced by both)?

>The French killed off the notion of influence studies in literary
>criticism decades ago,

How?  Why?

>I would find Brust's opinion of Zelazny interesting, just for the
>sake of assuaging curiosity.

You're new here, I nearly think (not a criticism, merely an
observation).

  http://dreamcafe.com/weblog.cgi

]  Thu Jul 17th, 2003 10:29 PM
]
] I've been asked to do an introduction to a collection of short
] stories by Roger Zelazny.  I'm more than a little flattered and
] honored.  But I have no bloody clue what to say.  No one wants to
] read three thousand words of, "But. like, he's really good!"

]  Tue Nov 13th, 2001 4:47 PM

] Maybe it's the prospect of seeing Neil again, but for some
] reason I've been missing Roger Zelazny a lot these last few
] weeks.  I really want to sit down and talk to him about
] writing, and about Stuff.

] Neil and I, along with Walter Jon Williams, have been called
] Roger's bastard children, literarily, and it's a title I
] wear with pride.  I wonder what would happen if the three of us
] tried to write a book together?  Given how differently we
] approach things, it would almost certainly be a catastrophe, and
] not very much fun either.  Kind of cool to think about,
] though.  The big problem is that I write in 6/8 time, whereas
] Neil, like Roger, often writes in 2/4, and Walterjon writes in
] complex East African polyrhythms--when we got done, *no* one
] could dance to it.

And like that.