Dragaera

Magic versus technology

Thu Sep 30 12:20:02 PDT 2004

> But the islands should have tech by my lights
> (modulo indirect manipulation by the gods a la
> Phoenix).

Technological development also requires some sort of
resource base (educated populace and raw materials).
England's access to raw materials ala it's colonies
and it's educated populace gave it advantages probably
not possessed by the Islands.

You also have to take into account that technological
advancement throughout our history has been mixing of
populations and ideas.  The Crusades and voyages to
the West/East (basically the expansionist desires of a
mercantile Europe partially constrained by Papal
power) were necessary triggers for Europe's scientific
revolution and subsequent technological boom.  The
world outside the Empire - the somewhat isolated
Islands  as well as the largely untamed Eastern lands
(at least that's how I picture the East after reading
the Viscount series) - does not seem to have enough
contact to effectively share ideas.

As for the need of truly effective mass
transportation, I think that _God Emperor of Dune_
hints as to why SUPPRESSING truly effective means of
mass transportation works to the benefit of the
nobles.  Forcing the lower classes to travel on foot
is a great means of population control.

=====
"she had a walk that would make a bishop kick in a stain glass window" - Raymond Chandler