Dragaera

A Vlad reference in an unexpected place.

FRIEDA2133 at aol.com FRIEDA2133 at aol.com
Mon Oct 4 21:27:38 PDT 2004

Y Y wrote Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

>Slightly off topic here, but in that same part of the book, Loiosh
>mentions something about Morrolan's embarrassing ritual. I can't
>seem to recall what he was eluding to.  Sorry if this question was
>posted earlier on the list.

Heh!  We left Original topic some time ago: Original topic was: A Vlad
reference in an unexpected place. If you wish to see the comic Frank
wrote about, you have to go to the October 1, 2004 comic.

From: Frank Mayhar wrote on Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

>http://www.reallifecomics.com/

This might work for a while
http://www.reallifecomics.com/daily.php?strip_id=1290

Y Y, you cannot recall what Loiosh talks about, because Vlad forgot the
embarrassing ritual and the large statue (of D*livar's brother I believe)
and it has not been written in a book yet.  This was the memory problem
I was talking about.

Dragon paperback Chapter 1 "MEMORY IS LIKE A WATCHACALLIT" page 15.
Vlad says "As you approach the Falls, do you remember there being
a large statue."  Loiosh says "Sure, Boss where Morrolan performed
that embarrassing ritual.  What about it?" ...

The Paths of the Dead paperback Chapter 29 page 319
"larger-than-life sculpture of a man"..."Kieron the Conqueror"
No mention of this sculpture in Book of Taltos, Taltos Chapter
10, page 100.

erik.debill.org wrote on  Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:03:03 -0500 on
the memory problem:

>I'm going to have to vote for "something just slipped his mind".  It
>happens to all of us as we grow older.  I know that if I tried to
>recount everything I did last weekend I'd leave things out.  Him
>wondering if someone is messing with his mind is just paranoia.
>That's how I read it at the time and I've not seen anything that
>really changes my mind.

Erik, does this change your mind that it isn't just a memory slip up?

The Book of Taltos, Taltos Chapter 7, page 73 on Aliera's soul.
Sethra says "we have located it, with your help, as well as the help of
...well, some others."

The Book of Taltos, Taltos Chapter 14, page 142
Aliera says "Who tracked me down?"
Morrolan answers.  "Sethra and I, he said, watching her face.  He glanced
at me quickly, then said, "And there were others who helped, some time ago."

Who are the others?  Why not mention their names?  Why the quick glance at
Vlad?  Why mention in Dragon Morrolan's embarrassing ritual that happened
in Taltos if we are never going to be told about it?

As I said Cracks and Shards!  Am I reading something between the text that is
not there again?   A quick glance and I am thinking who would be useful in
tracking down Aliera's soul some time ago.  Maybe her brother?  Maybe Mario?

Or it was just Steven Brust's way of explaining why a large statue was not
mentioned in Taltos but was mentioned in The Paths of the Dead.  And as Erik
said also showing that Vlad is paranoid.  Vlad has plenty of reasons to be
paranoid.

Bye.

Linda G.