Dragaera

Warriors, peasants, and mortality

Tue Oct 5 11:58:59 PDT 2004

> According to the Letters, everything in Middle Earth
> (including Elves and
> Wizards) grows old over time and dies. I'd pull up a cite but
> I don't usually bring my copy to work. This is a pretty
> natural outgrowth of Tolkien's Catholicism (which is, of
> course, the underpinning for the entire enterprise). Disease
> I'm less sure about.

Becoming pretty tangential to Brust, but Tolkein's elves didn't physically
age in the way that the other Free Peoples did. Rather, as the centuries
flowed past they tended to grow weary in spirit, eventually to find mortal
life (for lack of a better descriptor) a burden rather than a joy. Tolkein's
elves and "gods" (Valar, Maya, et al...) were all about the strengh of their
spirit. Creation and life were a drain on that spirit. The elves in Middle
Earth were subject to this "spiritual aging" rather sooner than the various
branches of the High Elves who had lived at one time or another in Valinor
where the "spiritual batteries" of the Valar helped keep them "fresh". (Yes,
I realize how fast and loose I'm playing with the mythology here.)

With no examples of elves ever succuming to disease, it seems safe to assume
that they never do. Short of physical destruction, an elf's lifespan is
unlimited. However, the spiritual fount IS limited and eventually the elves
succumb. Like Aragorn, they lay down to sleep and their spirit passes to the
Halls of Mandos. Feanor's mother is an example of this happening early.
Having passed more than the usual amount of spirit to Feanor in his birth,
her own spirit never truly recovered and she chose to leave rather than to
continue to inhabit the mortal realms or even the Undying Lands.

As for elvish reincarnation, I can't recall any examples of that. My
impression of the trip to the Halls of Mandos is that it's a one way trip.
Beren and Luthien were the only exceptions and they were pretty exceptional
indeed. The elves are kin to the Valar in spirit and we've seen that the
Maya and the Valar can "re-corporate" given time and opportunity. It's not
completely out of the question but I'd have to see a reference cited to
believe it's ever happened.

The dwarves believe that THEY can re-incarnate (or their heroes can, at
least) but the dwarves believe a lot of strange things. ;-P I don't know
that Tolkein ever said anything definitive on the subject.