Dragaera

A Vlad reference in an unexpected place.

Tue Oct 5 12:17:01 PDT 2004

Charmian wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:55:53 -0700 (PDT), David Silberstein
> <davids at kithrup.com> wrote:

> I have to wonder. At this point, does Morrolan know that Vlad is the
> reincarnation of [spoiler?] (Newbie question. Is something revealed
> early in the first published book considered a spoiler?) Perhaps
> that's why he doesn't want to mention names. Since Aliera knew, and
> with the revelation at the end of Orca, it is possible that Sethra
> knew beforehand as well.

I think based on comments that Sethra has made that she knows exactly
who Vlad is and was. As for the Philosophy of Spoiler Space, it is a
deep and varied field. No two opinions are the same. While I would say
that it technically is a spoiler, I personally wouldn't think to protect
it; however, some do. Also of note is the recent list member who, if I
remember correctly, mentioned reading Issola before any of the other
books, based on it being the most readily available of the Brust books
(or something like; I apologize if I misremember). Technically, this
person has not read Jhereg and others, and thus would be spoiled for the
events therein. Ultimately, it's your call. I like to be vague about
spoilery things, but that may also have to do with covering my ass in a
discussion in case I get something wrong. *grin*

> Also, doesn't Loiosh stop people from messing with Vlad's mind? (See Issola)

I think he can notice or detect it (I remember Vlad asking Zerika how
she could read his mind without her familiar catching her at it), but
may not necessarily be able to prevent it. Also, the possible suspects
for messing with his mind (Sethra, Verra, possibly Aliera and Morrolan,
but unlikely) know about Loiosh and should be powerful enough to compensate.

Jose
--
Jose Marquez            \  Cthulhu 2004
jhereg69 at hackwater.com   \  Why vote for