Dragaera

Warriors, peasants, and mortality

Tue Oct 5 13:29:51 PDT 2004

> Glorfindel. And the counterexample of Feanor; he's presented
> as an exception precisely /because/ he stays in the Halls
> instead of returning to life, which statement implies that
> the other elves habitually return to life.

If you can provide a citation that supports this idea, I'd be interested in
investigating it. It's not ringing any bells for me. Certainly, the history
of the elves and particularly the Wars of the Silmarils would have proceeded
rather differently if the spirits of the fallen had merely flown back to
Valinor to rebuild their physical bodies.

> the humans pass away and leave the
> world and never go to the Halls, whereas the elves are stuck
> with it until it ends.

This is true as far as it goes, but it's true because the Halls of Mandos
are within the confines of the world. (Inasmuch as any part of Valinor can
be considered within the confines of the world.)Once your soul enters the
Halls, it stays there until the end of the World or until Mandos decides to
let you out.