Dragaera

Culture (was Architecture question for Steve based upon the Sun, the Moon &

Thu Oct 28 17:52:24 PDT 2004

> I believe you've shown us all of them on Dragaera except that I don't
> remember eschatology, food taboos, incest taboos, obstetrics, or
> pregnancy usages.  One could argue that Dragaerans, unlike Easterners,
> have no propitiation of supernatural beings or religious ritual, if
> they accept the gods and Jenoine as natural beings.  There may be a
> few others that some Dragaeran houses don't have--I have trouble
> imagining a Yendi family feast or Dragon weaving.

Eschatology, I think, is beliefs regarding the fate of the soul after
death and the end of the world. There's been a lot of stuff about the
soul post death in the books, and I gather that the Dragaeran belief
system is sort of in a neverending Cycle? There doesn't seem to be a
belief in a catastrophic Ragnarok or a messiah of some sort mentioned
in the religion in the book. As for incest taboos, from what I recall
>from anthro texts, those mainly have to do with which cousins you're
forbidden to marry (were Morrolan's parents first cousins? I recall
they were somehow related, but I can't recall), but most of the
marriage drama in the Dragaera books has to do with forbidden exogamy
(relations outside group).

Charmian