Dragaera

Dragaeran sports

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Nov 23 04:55:53 PST 2004

FRIEDA2133 at aol.com wrote:
> Mark Tiller wrote on Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:15:12 -0000
>
> "The next day some of the company drew out a squareball field,
> wrapped a bunch of rope around a rock to use as the ball, and
> played a good rousing game while the rest of us stood around
> and yelled encouragement and obscenities.  The injuries
> weren't nearly as bad as a full-scale battle would have been
> but were bad enough to get us yelled at by Crown and cursed
> by the company physicker."

That's a sport.

> Same page "S'yang Stones" is mentioned.  Is gambling a sport?

No.

> Dueling, fencing, javelin-throwing, javelin shooter shooting(?),
> knife-throwing, archery, squareball, S'yang Stones.

I've seen no evidence that they are considered sports there.

Steve likes music, food, and gambling and has those in his books.  Maybe
he's not interested in sports.  The example above appears designed to
illustrate their warlike nature.

I wonder how universal sport is.  English law proscribed some sports that
took time away from archery practice.  (Where archery wasn't considered
sport).   I bet there's a book somewhere telling how primitive societies do
sport, but I haven't come across it.